Thursday, February 20, 2014

Man of Steel (Hans Zimmer)

Ah yes, Man of Steel. I had a chance to watch it again recently and I like it less than the first time. Superman sinking into a pile of skulls? Amy Adams' character feels useless, Laurence Fishburne is almost wasted, and I'm far too tired of the overpowered fighting by the first Smallville battle alone!


Anyway, the score by Hans Zimmer, one of my favourite film composers ever, has managed a score that is decent, but nowhere near anything remotely Inception shaped.


There are definitely some fun elements, the guitar segments are very nostalgic, there's some cool drums, but something about the score always makes me think it's something from a trailer music album.
While that's usually not a bad thing, it might mean that it can be rather generic at times. Also probably the reason why I was never much a fan of Superman.



There's a whole song from the oil rig scene that's literally just very loud drums. The whole score can be somewhat noisy at times, which coupled with the intense action made the film somewhat tiring for me. 



There are some interesting things, for example the General Zod sounds which I guarantee came from the sounds of The Bat from The Dark Knight Rises but fun to listen to nontheless.


Score Rating: ***
Has some cool segments here and there, but overall very noisy and lacks some depth. (Just like the movie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment